The Pediatric Imaging Section is staffed by three board-certified radiologists. The section is based primarily at the Holtz Children’s Hospital at Jackson Memorial Hospital with privileges at University of Miami Hospital & Clinics/Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center as well. Offsite pediatric imaging readings are also performed for the pediatric service at the Kendall site of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.
- To provide the best possible imaging services for pediatric patients under the age of 18
- To image children in the most safe and comfortable environment, utilizing the least amount of radiation doses necessary for the exam. All our protocols, especially CT protocols, have been conformed to the ALARA (as low as reasonably achievable) principal
The following services are available at the Pediatric Imaging Center. Most appointments are available within 48-72 hours of request, and in some cases we can accomodate patients the same day.
- Computed Tomography (CT): Our state-of-the-art 64- and 128- slice multi-detector CT scanner provides improved image quality, high resolution 2-D and 3-D reconstructions and faster imaging times, reducing the need for sedation. All CT protocols have been modified to deliver the lowest possible radiation dose to your child and provide the highest quality imaging available.
- General Radiology (X-Ray)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), including Fetal MRI: Our advanced 1.5 Tesla MRI protocols are tailored for the evaluation of disease processes unique to children.
- Sedation (CT and MRI): The Pediatric Radiology Section offers sedation assisted MRI and CT exams to infants and children. This program is designed to meet the unique medical, emotional, psychosocial, and developmental needs of infants, children and adolescents in a family-centered environment.
- Jackson Memorial Hospital
- Holtz Children’s Hospital
- University of Miami Hospitals & Clinics/Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center at Kendall
Areas of Expertise
Pediatric Neuroimaging, Pediatric MSK, and Fetal MR
Multiple MR Scanners throughout the campus
3 CT Scanners, including a 64- and 128- dual source state of the art CT scanner
2 fluoroscopy units
Multiple Ultrasound Units
The Pediatric Imaging Section participates in numerous weekly interdisciplinary conferences and tumor boards with clinical and surgical specialists. The section is involved in 5 weeks of didactic lectures for residents during the academic year, with special lecturers invited from neighboring pediatric hospitals as well. Additionally, the section gives lectures to medical students of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.